Monday, March 10, 2008

Thing #10: Wiki, wiki, woo!

I LOVE Common Craft videos. My son watched with me and he wants to make his own Star Wars wiki. He's 8 and quite sharp, if I do say so myself. I might let him try it. We also watched the Common Craft video on zombies - if you haven't seen it, definitely look it up. It's hysterical. But I digress. Back to wikis.

I find the concept of wikis to be really fun and interesting to be part of the collaborative common; however, as an educator, I do not allow wikis as a valid source for research. I have also educated my co-workers on wikis and advised them against allowing wikis. I explained that wikis allow both your brightest student and your most challenged student to post information with very little in the way of verification.

I would like to start a Book Talk wiki to which my library patrons could add their picks. I worry about having to constantly monitoring it for content. I don't think our administration would approve an unfiltered/ unmonitored wiki to be connected with our school webpage. I might look into that.

I added a post to the Library Success wiki, Best Graphic Novels for Teens section. I had just finished reading Plain Janes and added that to the wiki. When I get more time, I might add a couple more.

Now, I'm off to create a wiki for my girlfriends in our planning of the annual Girls Getaway Weekend.

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

I love the use of a girlfriend wiki to plan fun trips! Awesome! :)

LeAnn Suchy
CMLE 23 Things Coach

vanhookc said...

If you would, please by all means, use the wiki I have begun. It is there for anyone to post great books for teens! Check it out, http://booktalk.pbwiki.com

Grammar Lesson