Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thing #18 - I Tube, You Tube, We all Tube

This was too much fun! I found two animation shorts that I haven't seen in YEARS! One is The Cat Came Back - the song will get stuck in your head. The other is Vincent by Tim Burton, my all-time favorite director. I put that one on my blog so all can view it. I can't believe it's there!

I'm so grateful and yet, I feel a bit guilty about it. I didn't purchase it. I didn't get permission from Mr. Burton to post it on my blog and yet, simple as pie, it's there. We are getting farther and farther away from definitive copyright. I have had numerous discussions with students, friends and even family members about the need to purchase music and movies, etc. - not steal them off the internet. The artists, musicians, and film makers do this as their living so we need to legally, legitimately purchase their works in order to encourage them to continue making more.

One family member, a teen, said that she never paid for the music she downloaded off the internet because first, if they didn't want it available, they would protect it better; second, the music industry is corrupted anyway so it served them right if people took the music; and third, they make way more money from concerts then music sales so who was it hurting. I told her that what she was doing was the same as shoplifting but that fell on deaf ears.

I have loaded all of my CDs into my iTunes and am using Handbrake to load my DVDs (something I wish iTunes would have as a feature). I do not view this in the same venue as this is material that I legally purchased and am simply converting it to a different format for viewing. Just like I believe that I can legally convert all of my VHS purchases to DVD. Am I wrong?

No comments:

Grammar Lesson