Friday, February 29, 2008

Thing #7 - Web 2.0

Email is my primary means of communication with just about everyone in my life. I keep tabs on my kids via email with their teachers. I check in with my mom and my husband during the day. Email flows around our building constantly through the day. When it goes down, we're temporarily crippled until someone remembers that crazy thing we call a phone. Talk directly to another person? In real time? What a concept! I don't like calling my co-workers during the day because I know how annoying it is to have to answer the phone during class. Email is quieter and the recipient is able to answer at their leisure. It also creates a paper trail when documentation is necessary. Students, however, do not have access to email and are not allowed to use it during school hours.

Most of the other things mentioned in this task are not available for use at our school. IM, chat, texting - all not allowed. Students can use their cell phones in a certain hallway area but not during class. Our filtering system blocks access to personal email, chat rooms, IM, etc. so students cannot use these features. Foreign exchange students can received special permission to email family at home and students taking online classes can also receive special permission to have access to whatever their instructors require.

No comments:

Grammar Lesson