Thursday, August 14, 2008

Kids these days

It's been awhile since I've posted. I made a conscious effort to not be glued to the computer all day! Believe me, it's been a challenge.

Here's my other challenge -- teaching my children how to play. Seriously. Just play. I never wanted to use the phrase, "When I was a kid" but I find myself using it daily! Yesterday, I dragged two of my kids (ages almost 9 and almost 7) outside and forced them to [gasp] use the garden hose to make mud in the driveway and play in it. When I a kid, that would have gotten me grounded. What is more fun than walking barefoot in mud! Ok, maybe rolling around in the mud is more fun but that would be taking it too far. My youngest really got into it. She said that Dad would be mad if he knew what we were doing [little did she know that he knew all about it and totally approved] but that I was the coolest mom ever for letting them do it. The almost 9 year old played for awhile then wanted to go back in the house. And do what? Lay around? No way! I actually told him to call Child Protective Services and tell them about how his mean mom was making him play outside on a lovely day. How cruel she was about handing him a garden hose and forcing him to make mud puddles. How she tore off his shoes and socks so he could feel the mud between his toes. After awhile, he started laughing, realizing how ridiculous it sounded.

When I was a kid, we got up at the crack of dawn, inhaled breakfast and took off on our bikes only to reappear at meal times. Granted, it was the 70s and I lived in the country where I knew all my neighbors and they knew me. We knew who was home during the day in case we needed a bathroom break or glass of water or wiped out on our bikes, needing a ride home. My home is located on top of a hill, next to a very busy highway but we have over 15 acres of bike-able land to traverse and explore. There are no less than 10 climbable trees in the yard in addition to the playground equipment we have. Heck, we even have two lovable dogs who would like nothing better than to chase a ball thrown by a kid. And don't think that my kids are allowed to sit on the couch and watch TV, play video games or use the computer all day. Nope, my summer mantra is, "play play play or you can help with the household chores." Get this, sometimes, they'll actually fold the laundry instead of playing. Seriously? What's wrong with my kids? Bedrooms full of toys and games but they'd rather sit in the living room with me and fold clothes. Weird.

No comments:

Grammar Lesson